Not until we are lost do we begin to find ourselves--
Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, June 9, 2011

lunch break lightness

nestled into the flank of a plump pu'u like a little one in mother's downy feathers, i hatch.  this place has given me a feeling of easiness, lightness, simpleness.  if ever i were grass it would be now.  wind rushing across my body and me reveling in the pressure so unpredictable but safe.  the sun warming my blood as easy as a porch swing on cool rivets as easy as a dearly beloved maple leaf flowing down a tranquil and trusted stream, a perfect state of homeostasis.  i photosynthesize.  easy.  light.  simple.

i adjust my legs which are, themselves, blades of grass.  there is no tangible root here, only the sense of complete comfort, an ease of just being without trying to be.  the root is perhaps in the mind.  to know where i am is where i want to be and what i'm doing is what i want to be doing, that is happiness.  i contemplate the blade of grass that i let droop from my lips.  i used to pretend, not moments ago, that this grass was a fag i used, i in the role of tortured artist, to get by.  but now that piece of grass no longer symbolizes the human invention, the human state, the human need, but rather, is a piece of many pieces growing from my grassy self.

i stretch my body out and the sun lays on top of me.  i let myself photosynthesize for a while.  sometimes i wonder if its a problem being all imagination and no sense.  but then again, maybe its a blessing, maybe its a ticket to freedom.

No comments: