Not until we are lost do we begin to find ourselves--
Henry David Thoreau

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Beach Rain


It had decided, quite suddenly, to rain.  There was nothing to do but wrap my towel around me and nestle into the sand.  The rain felt comforting.  I pulled the towel tight to my body and laid on my side curled up like a fetus.  I wanted to be born again so maybe I could sleep again.  Sleep soundly like I haven't in too long.  I didn’t want to open my eyes, though I could feel you looking at me.  What could I do?  There was and is nothing I can do that hasn’t already been done.  We’ve exhausted the resources and we’re still hungry.  I try not to think of you.  Try to find me some other food. 

We had changed as we continue to and in the brief shower I felt the pull toward symbolism, the drops on my face masking tears that had been running continuous for months; I felt a symbolism, a desire to call the rain savior and I felt oddly at peace.  The rain had come to take away all the everything that had been lingering on me from the moment I realized there was no changing some things, that “it is what it is” cannot be riled against no matter how you kick and scream.  At the end of this day and every other you will be you and I will be me. 

We are beautiful people.  In the rain its clear to see that we are so pulsing with life, so craving a union, a special tie that we both deserve.  We hold each other in revelry, in bliss, in love.  We hold each other prisoner.  And we are beautiful people with a magnificent infinity of emotion, love so thick it's palpable, so thick it pushes out the oxygen in the air so that when I get close to you I feel I can't breathe. 
 
The rain taps on my soul softly, "You are forever changed, forever bound to one another.  What that bond be called is really of no consequence", says the rain, "rather it is that you loved and continue to love. Such a bond will never be broken and will never be forgotten."
I smile and hold myself close.  I am thankful for all the love I have in my life.  Drops fall endlessly, whispering “love yourself, love yourself"

No comments: