Not until we are lost do we begin to find ourselves--
Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

the sawyer

(a piece found in the rubble of past pieces...circa 2009, NH)

i approach slowly
not to be confused with timidly
but calculated.
i draw in the details,
put the mystery together,
heal to toe, toe to crown.

the weight of my body
measures the terrain between us.
i check the sky,
how much has changed with decreased distance!
i pull myself closer, eyeing all that surrounds you,
my sight open to all the dangers
of those who surround you.
i come close enough to touch you
but pull back my hand
"not yet"

i circle around you
my breath whispering across your core
i admire you from this angle and that
stare at you and ask silent questions:
"will you hurt me?"
"where will you go when you leave?"
"how will this end?"

i put my arms around you to get a better feel
my gaze grows up you,
my thoughts bore into you.
"i'm sorry" i say as i release you.
you buckle and crash,
then lay silent, beautiful, large.
i draw lines across you, weeping
and take you home in pieces.

No comments: