Not until we are lost do we begin to find ourselves--
Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, May 19, 2011

meditations on a full moon

the full moon, she shatters me from the inside. a nudist, night swimming, disappearing at the first signs of light. bashful bather, covering herself with clouds or ducking behind a mountain, falling back further and further into her dark celestial bed.

this serpentine road rocks me, lulling me into sleep. but the thought of the full moon startles and excites me. to drift into effortless, dreamy sleep, or to tend to the scarlet hole the moon has burned through my chest? what love does she stir in me?

such a solitary creature, this moon. drifting whole or seeming to. but i'm no longer a little girl. i know that i cannot truly know the moon, cannot truly take her in completely. and yet, part of the little girl remains within me. could i know it all? 360 degrees, 3 dimensions, maybe 4? but i'm brought to a even more looming question, lingering lucid and larger than the moon: can i even know myself 360 degrees, 3 dimensions, maybe 4? how about someone else? a lover? a friend? surely there is a dark side to every moon like there is a dark moon in every one of us.

the full moon unfurls into a silver stallion. he sniffs at my neck and shortens my breath. beautiful isn't he?

No comments: